Business leaders have so many things to do. Some of those could be described as “administrative maintenance,” like timekeeping and attendance. A wise executive will look for ways to focus on moving his/her business forward instead of spending valuable time on the less critical functions. A great solution is digital time sheets, a key element of digital timekeeping.
What Is Employee Timekeeping
Employee timekeeping is simply keeping track of the time that employees spend on work so that employers can calculate work costs. Additionally, timekeeping provides data that can be used to analyze and manage employee performance, identify important work trends, and find means to improve working efficiency.
Timekeeping Challenges That Can Be Overcome by Using Digital Time Sheets
Digital timekeeping can overcome these challenges:
- Compliance, including properly recording actual hours worked and lunch time taken or not taken. This is especially serious since unpaid hours worked and not compensated can result in expensive legal action. And with so many employees working offsite these days, “punching a clock” just isn’t possible anymore.
- Retrieving timecard data.
- Payroll errors.
- Lack of labor resources.
- Problems of unintentional employee time theft
- Managing overtime.
Any time that a time error isn’t found and corrected, it creates a problem including an inaccurate paycheck, an unhappy employee, and additional work for the employee, manager, and the payroll team.
Why You Should Use Digital Time Sheets
Digital time sheets provide multiple benefits:
- Efficient collection of data. Clearly, the more employees that a company has, the more difficult it is to collect timekeeping and vacation time data in the old ways, as well as the difficulty of ensuring that all employees have recorded their time data.
- They provide accurate data for billing and accounting. Correcting data kept in old-fashioned spreadsheets is both painful and time-consuming and that method leads to making frequent errors.
- Digital time sheets provide easy access and central access to data instead so timekeeping questions can be rapidly answered. Additionally, access to data can be controlled so that user types only have access to permitted data. This makes data transparent and traceable.
- Electronic time sheets are stored in a single database instead of having paper timesheets or spreadsheets stored in different places in an organization. Digital time sheets allow for easy reporting and easy historical review, including identifying any changes made and by whom those changes were made.
- They provide for better workforce planning, better work management, better employee discipline, and morale. Sixth, digital time sheets offer complete customization to fit the individual needs of a department or business type. A company can customize them to include meeting special circumstances and differing pay periods.
For employees, this can help optimize work processes, overcome timekeeping procrastination, and help identify time spent in one’s scope of responsibilities to help avoid overwork.
Choose a Timekeeping, Payroll, and Outsource HR Service to Assist You
Choose Palmetto Payroll, South Carolina’s payroll partner. We serve over 300 businesses throughout South Carolina, with offices in Columbia and Charleston, offering expert payroll, tax filing, tax depositing, Human Resource services, timekeeping, and management reporting. We pride ourselves on superb customer service and efficiency along with the latest technology.